We like to serve sushi on parties as an elegant first course. The cost is minimal and the pleasure is fit for a good feast.
Fry tofu in oil until lightly brown. Pat 3/4 cup sushi rice onto 1 sheet nori, covering bottom of 2/3 of nori. Leave top 1/3 plain. Lay a row of fish or tofu, and vegetables of your choice across the bottom of nori, on top of rice. (Keep a bowl of water next to you while rolling the sushi to moisten your hands, since this will make the preparation easier.) Roll tightly from bottom. Wait a moment to let nori moisten and form a seal. Continue with remaining ingredients.
Slice each sushi roll into 8 pieces. Arrange on a serving platter.
- 8 nor sheets (dried seaweed)
- 1/4 pound sushi-grade fish (salmon, lox, sea bass, tuna, or yellow tail), cut against the grain into 2 x 1/4 inch pieces, or 1/4 pound tofu, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil if using tofu
- 2 carrots, julieened
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin 2-inch strips
- 3 green onions, cut into thin 2-inch strips
- 1 avocado, cut into thin 2-inch strips, optional
- 6 cup cooked sushi rice, cooled